Sunday, February 20, 2011

12) Still Life Project: A Group of Photographs that Share a Relation





These are the photographs that are the product of our latest assignment in Photo I. We had to shoot pictures of still lives, although the trick was to make the still lives look extraordinary. I had a very difficult time with this project, from thinking of interesting things to shoot, to trying to shoot up close without coming out with a blurry image, to finding places within my apartment where there wasn't a distracting background or even just trying to figure out how to block out the background. Although, even though it was frustrating I think that these pictures are something to be proud of, considering my struggle, hence the reason why they are the ones I picked to post on here. 

Before I go into how they relate I just wanted to state that I cold not pick just three that relate, as Professor Micheals asked, so I came up with two sets of four. I also focused mostly on food while doing these still lives, considering food seemed to give me the most successful, interesting outcomes. 

I think that the top four have a relationship to each other because they each are obviously photographs of food, but they all each have the foreground in focus, and the background out of focus. I like this effect a lot, I think it gives a good range of dept and I enjoyed working through getting my camera to focus on the foreground and blurring out the background. I also think that there is a slight color relation going on within these four photographs above. The cucumbers and the bananas relating color wise, as well as the roasted red peppers and apples relating color wise. 

The photographs below are the other set of four that I think share a relationship. Unlike the photographs above where only the foreground is in focus, this set has the food all within the foreground, almost eliminating any middle or back ground in almost all four of these. I also think that these four photographs relate because they really distort what the picture is really of. For example the first picture is cheese crackers with peanut butter on the inside, I think it now looks like little volcanoes erupting from a bird's eye view. 



1 comment:

  1. The top 4 do relate, primarily through subject matter, but also through the lighting. The specular highlights on three of them lend a squishy, wet feeling to them that works. I do find the cracker and cookie edges appealing as well. Excellent results.

    ReplyDelete