Wednesday, February 2, 2011

5) Still Life Examples-Painting, Contemporary, and Photography


Another assignment within Photo I here at the Tyler School of Art. We were required to pick three examples of still lives that resonated with us. One of the still lives had to be from the history of painting, which is my first image of the Van Gogh piece. The second had to be from the hisotry of photograhy, which is my last image, done by Anna Atkins, the first female photographer. Lastly one had to be a contemporary artist, which is the middle image, done by Sylvia Shap. 

I am drawn to the Van Goghs still life because I feel like I can relate to the image on a lot of different levels. The way it has been painted reminds me of how I feel every night when I finally get to sit down, but then I am reminded of the usual immense amount of homework that I need to get done. I feel distraught, tired, frantic, the same way that I precieve the paint in this still life to be.

I am drawn to the photograph on the bottom by Anna Atkins, because I think that the sole fact that it is one of the first photographs done by a female photographer is pretty impressive, and amazing. I am also drawn to it because it was never labeled "still life", but I think that it is interesting to think of it as a still life photograph, considering all photographs could be observed as still lifes because the camera essentially freezes an image in time. 

Lastly I am drawn to the still life in the middle because of Sylvia Shap's use of color. I use a lot of color when I paint, either with oils, spray paint, acrylic, any sort of paint I use, there is always an abundance amount of color. I am also drawn to the still life in the middle because it has a graphic feel to it, which is also another way that I personally work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment